The Penn State Wilkes-Barre Continuing Education office offers personal interest programs that have an educational and cultural interest to the community. For example, Conversational Spanish, Ladies' Golf Clinic for Beginners, Retirement Planning, and our Film & Discussion series that is offered each fall and spring.
If there is a topic you are interested in or would like to join our mailing list to receive details on future personal enrichment topics, please send your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your input is very valuable to us and your ideas are always welcome.
Please browse our course schedule to see the programs we are currently offering.
Film & Discussion Series
The Film & Discussion series consists of five movies and includes pre-film lectures and stimulating post-film discussions. Participants earn continuing education credits upon series completion.
Fall 2015 Theme: Northeast Pennsylvania in Hollywood
Actors, writers, set designers….They all came from Northeast PA in the fall Movie Series from Penn State Wilkes-Barre. Do you know who wrote the screen version of The Adventures of Robin Hood? Which actor in The Best Man is from the Back Mountain? Who did the set design for Small Time Crooks? What town has a starring role in Miracle of the Bells? Thursdays in October will answer these questions at Movies 14 in Wilkes-Barre when Penn State Wilkes-Barre continues its second decade of this popular film series!
- October 1: The Adventures of Robin Hood (1983/PG/102 Minutes)
This early Technicolor © masterpiece features Olivia De Havelind and Errol Flynn in the title roles of Robin and Marian. You’ll be surprised to see who from Northeast PA was involved in this film and how.
- October 8: The Best Man (1964/Approved/102 Minutes)
Gore Vidal’s Tony-award winning novel is bigger than life on the big screen! Two actors from our area are dominant in this film about a presidential election. One of a handful of films to feature two area residents in the same movie! One was nominated for an academy award for his performance.
- October 15: Small Time Crooks (2000/PG/94 Minutes)
A Woody Allen comedy with complete production design by this area native known interchangeably for his artistic design in Hollywood as well as the New York stage. See the work of this Wilkes-Barrean who was responsible for the design elements of Small Time Crooks.
- October 22: Sneakers (1992/PG-13/126 Minutes)
The area native in this film plays a convincing supporting role. She’s also been a president’s wife and Indian captive on film. The plot deals with computers, hackers, decryption systems and double agents. With today’s security breaks in computer systems it’s interesting to see how the world of the 1980’s viewed internet security theft.
- October 29: Miracle of the Bells (1948/Approved/120 Minutes)
A local town and several churches stars in this Frank Sinatra, Lee J. Cobb offering. Based loosely on the real-life person from our area who inspired the story line for the film, “Bells” has just recently been rediscovered as a nostalgic piece from Hollywood’s golden days.
Location: The film series will be held at R/C Wilkes-Barre Movies 14, 24 E Northampton Street Wilkes-Barre, PA.
Time: Each movie/discussion begins at 7:00 PM.
Cost: $40 per person
How to register:
- By fax: Complete the registration form, which can be obtained by calling our office at 570-675-9253 or emailing email@example.com and fax it to 570-675-8308. Credit card information must be included on registration form.
- By mail: Complete the registration form (see above instructions to obtain a form) and mail along with payment to:
Penn State Wilkes-Barre Continuing Education
PO Box PSU
Lehman, PA 18627
- By phone: 570-675-9253 Must pay by credit card.
The Wilkes-Barre Film & Discussion Series is brought to you by:
- Graduate Courses in Education
- One-to-One Computer Training
- Introduction to Psychology Certificate
- Rehabilitation & Human Services Certificate
- Financial Accounting Certificate
- Conversational Spanish
- Workforce Development Programs
- Industry Training
- Fall Film & Discussion Series
- Real Estate Prep Courses
- Civil Engineering Professional Engineer Exam Review
- SAT Preparation Courses
Request CE Information
- Continuing Education
- Programs for Adults