During the winter months, severe weather conditions may require the compression of periods or closing of the campus on either a partial or a full-day basis. Circumstances may call for:
- Compressed Class Schedule (if conditions seem to be improving but additional time is needed for travel to campus). All employees should report to work at 10:00 a.m. The first period class will begin at 10:00 a.m. View compressed schedule.) Decisions about day classes will be made by 6:00 a.m. and public announcements will follow.
- Campus Closed – No Classes – No Work (if poor conditions are predicted to continue all day and into the evening). There are no day or evening classes. Only essential personnel are on duty at this time. Decisions about day classes will be made by 6:00 a.m. and public announcements will follow.
- Evening Classes and Special Events Cancelled (if conditions are predicted to worsen into the evening). All evening classes (those scheduled for 5pm or later) and special events are cancelled. Only essential personnel are on duty at this time. However, daytime classes are not cancelled. Decisions about evening classes will be made by 3:00 p.m. and public announcements will follow.
- Daytime Classes Cancelled (if conditions are predicted to improve later, enabling evening classes to meet). There are no daytime classes, and only essential personnel are on duty during the day. However, evening classes (those scheduled for 5pm or later) and special events are not cancelled.
- Classes Cancelled – Employees Remain at Work. If classes are cancelled during the course of the day, all employees shall remain at work until released by central administration.
On severe weather days all students, faculty and staff members are advised to check one of the following for official information about delays and cancellations:
- the campus weather announcement line: 570-675-2171, option #3
- the home page of the campus website: http://www.wb.psu.edu/
- local TV and radio stations, including:
- WBRE TV 28
- WNEP TV 16
- WYOU TV 22
- WARM 590 AM
- WAZL 1490 AM
- WILK 980 AM
- WEJL 630 AM
- WNAK 730 AM
- WKRZ 98.5 FM
- WQFM 92.1 FM
- WZMT 97.9 FM
- MAGIC 92.9 FM
- CAT COUNTRY 94.3 FM
- FROGGY 101.3 FM
- WHLM 106.5 FM
Initial decisions are subject to revision based on changing weather conditions, so employees and students should check for updates if conditions seem to be deteriorating. For example, although daytime classes may run, evening classes could be cancelled later on.
For a listing of individual class cancellations, please check any of the message boards ("Blue Screens") located across campus, or view Blue Screen messages here. As classes are cancelled, the message board is updated.
Policy for Continuing Education
Cancellation due to inclement weather of Continuing Education programs (workshops, seminars, contracted programs) is the responsibility of the specific program administrator in consultation with the Director of Continuing Education and faculty member involved. In cases of contracted programs, the contracting organization is contacted regarding their input/recommendation as well. Notification of registrants in public programs is the responsibility of the assigned administrator/staff assistant team.
Northern Tier Snow Policy
Students are advised to check one of the following television stations for snow closing announcements:
- WNEP TV 16
- WBRE TV 28
- WYOU TV 22
Initial decisions are subject to revision based on changing weather conditions. Students should check for updates if conditions seem to be deteriorating. Students may also call the Northern Tier Office at 570-265-7777 for weather cancellation updates.