Mr. Tim Sichler, Instructor in Engineering, (570) 675-9135
Observatory Public Nights
Come to one of our public nights to view the skies using our 16 inch (0.40 meter) Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain LX200 telescope. No reservation needed.
If you have any questions, contact Mr. Sichler for more information. Group size is limited to about 10 attendees.
Click here for directions to Penn State Wilkes-Barre campus and the Friedman Observatory.
The Friedman Observatory will be open to the public on clear Friday nights from 8pm-10pm. No appointment is necessary.
* * * Please note: the Friedman Observatory will not be open on
Friday, August 21st due to technical difficulties * * *
The observatory is open only during clear weather conditions. The observatory will be closed for:
- poor visibility conditions (no or very few stars visible)
- radar indicates scattered thunderstorms in the Northeastern Pennsylvania region
- poor winter road conditions (e.g., snow, ice, fog)
- significant snow or ice accumulation on or around the observatory dome
- very cold weather (<20 degrees F)
For a prediction of upcoming viewing conditions, see the AccuWeather Stargazing Forecast.