Carpooling can save money while helping the environment! Penn State Wilkes-Barre has contracted with CarpoolWorld.com to provide the campus community with an automatic web-based ride-matching service to help faculty, staff and students find carpool partners.
To use this service, go to www.carpoolworld.com/psuwb and select the "Click Here to Join" link. Enter the requested information, and be sure use your Penn State email address (yourAccessID@psu.edu). Enter the details of your trip and you will be matched with other potential commuters, if any. You will be able to view trip matches and contact other travelers by phone or email.
Please be aware that since we are just beginning this service, you may well not get immediate matches. Please be patient; as more and more potential commuters from our campus participate, the frequency of matches will rise.
Please Note: Penn State University provides this carpooling information strictly for the convenience of the University community, and assumes no liability for the consequences of arrangements you might make in using this software. It is YOUR responsibility to select carpool participants and judge the safety and reliability of your arrangements.
Studying on Campus
Many commuter students find that it is difficult to study at home for one reason or another. There are many places around campus that provide students with an appropriate environment for studying. For students who like to study in noisy areas, there is the Student Commons, or the Academic Commons CyberCafe. On the other hand, the Nesbitt Library is a good option for quiet study time. Students can also benefit from studying in the Technology Center, empty classrooms, or in the Learning Center.
As commuters, be sure you get involved in campus life! There are many ways you can enrich your Penn State Wilkes-Barre experience, in addition to attending classes.
Here are a just few suggestions:
- Visit the Student Commons between classes and get involved in a lively game of foosball, ping pong, pool, XBox, or Wii.
- Join other students at the Student Government Association meetings Wednesdays at 12 noon in Tech Center 101: Make your voice heard!
- Attend a scholarly lecture presented by one of our faculty.
- Take a yoga or spinning class or visit the weight room in the Athletics and Recreation Building.
- Catch up on projects by spending time in the Nesbitt Library.
- Maximize your success in courses by visiting the Learning Center.
- Attend one of our varsity athletic competitions!
- Cultivate a relationship with your academic advisor… schedule a meeting with him/her to acquire more information about your intended major…
- Or, if you are unsure of career/major, Career Services can assist you to identify your interests, skills, values and help you research viable options.
- Visit the Freidman Observatory and see the heavens!
- Join a campus club or organization. We have lots of opportunities, from the Four Seasons club (outdoor adventures) to the Lazy Artists’ (poetry, art, and open mic).