FAQs for Students
Q. What is a career exploration expo?
A. This exposition is geared towards helping students gain an understanding of the types of employment opportunities available after graduation. It also gives students exposure to a variety of companies. Additionally, this is an opportunity to practice utilizing your networking skills.
Q. What should I expect during the conference?
A. A conference is a professional networking and development opportunity. Be ready to meet new people, and hear great career-related advice from professionals and peers. At this conference, you will be attending three talks, participating in a networking lunch with employers, and attending a career exploration exposition.
Q. Do I need to register for the conference and exposition?
A. Current Penn State students must register in advance to attend the conference. However, Penn State alumni and students do not have to register in advance for the exposition. The Career Exploration Expo is open to Penn State students and alumni only. It is not open to the public.
Q. Will transportation be provided?
A. Yes. Transportation will be provided by bus for currently registered Penn State students who will be attending the conference and expo. Please be sure to email or visit your campus Career Services office to make arrangements if you need a ride.
Q. What should I wear?
A. Professional dress required if you are actively seeking a job or internship. See examples of professional attire for men and women. Otherwise, if you are attending the conference and expo for professional development purposes, business casual is appropriate. See examples of business casual for men and women. *If you do not have a suit, please contact your Career Services office for tips on finding one.
Q. I am not a PSU Schuylkill student. Do I need a parking pass?
A. No, you will not need a parking pass for the events occurring on October 8th only.
Q. Will employers be recruiting?
A. Although this exposition’s focus is on educating our students on the type of jobs available after graduation, some employers will be recruiting. For a list of employers attending and recruiting, please see the “I am a Student” site.
Q. Do you have any volunteer opportunities?
A. Possibly. If you are interested in volunteering for this event, please contact Karen Sofranko at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate which campus you are from in your email, as well as a telephone number we can reach you at.
Q. How do I make the most of the Career Exploration Expo?
A. We recommend that you:
- Review the list of employers attending. If you are seeking employment, be sure to do research on the employing organization's Web site. Write down some questions you intend to ask based on the research you have done.
- Have your 30 second intro prepared (pick up a Career Guide from Career Services for information on how to do this).
- Create your resume and have it reviewed prior to attending.
- Plan ahead. Have your professional attire pressed and ready to go.
- Attend a career fair preparation workshop at your campus.
- Talk with a career adviser on tips for succeeding or stop by Career Services for a Career Guide that provides detailed information on succeeding at a career fair.