During 2013-14 academic year, Career Services piloted a Mentor Program on the PSU Wilkes-Barre campus in collaboration with the Student Affairs department, the Alumni and Development office, and some of our Campus Advisory Board members. We are thrilled to say that it was highly successful and plan to make it an annual program!
What is the PSU WB Mentor Program?
The PSU WB Mentor Program is an opportunity for a student to connect with a professional in one's related field to obtain professional advice and insight into the world-of-work on a more personal level. This one-to-one relationship offers students a unique benefit in having a direct connection with a professional, which allows for direct communication between a mentor and mentee about questions a student might have related to one's field of interest.
Mentors who participate are PSU alumni and community members who have a passion for helping young professionals. The goal of the program is to bridge the gap between collegiate and professional experiences with an emphasis on nurturing soft skills.
- Define career goals
- Professional advice
- Gain insight into the world-of-work
- Ask questions related to your field
- One-to-one mentor relationship
- Get resume and cover letter advice
- Become part of a prestigious program
- Have a meaningful impact on your mentor
- Opportunities to network with professionals
- Obtain tips on interviewing and job search strategies
- Participate in professional development opportunities
What are the requirements to participate?
Students will qualify based on the following criteria:
- The program is open to interested sophomores, juniors, and seniors
- Availability in schedule (to participate in mandatory activities & one-to-one activities)
- Enthusiasm for improving one's professional status
How do I apply to participate in the Mentor Program?
Email Career Services to request an application or for more information.
*Please note that this is not an internship placement program.
- Career Services